Welcome Guest Active Topics |

6 Pages «<3456>
MyCopper Tips, Tricks and MORE COLORS! Options
gojohnson
#81 Posted : Friday, May 7, 2010 8:56:56 AM

Hmmm... No new tips or tricks lately.
gojohnson
#82 Posted : Friday, May 7, 2010 8:58:40 AM

I posted this in another forum thread on December 9, 2009.

HOW TO ADD A PICTURE TO YOUR FORUM POST

This is not the same procedure as adding an avatar (picture) to your forum profile. You will find detailed instructions on how to add an avatar here <--click link

The MyCopper Forum does not provide image hosting for pictures posted in the forum. You will first need to find an image hosting website. There are many free image host sites but very few reliable sites. Currently, the most popular free (and reliable) image host is PhotoBucket.com.

These instructions will show you how to use PhotoBucket to host pictures you want to post in the MyCopper Forum.

Step 1
Go to PhotoBucket.com <--click link

Step 2
Sign up for a free account. Create a user name and password. Note: Your user name will be seen in the URL (web address) of images you post in the forum.

Step 3
On the next registration screen PhotoBucket will ask for your first and last name, birthdate and zip code. I recommend you do NOT use your real name, etc. It also requires an email address. If you have an alternate email address, such as Yahoo or Gmail - use it! I never sign up for anything 'online' with my primary email address (which is probably why I never ever get spam in my Copper mailbox).

As with anything you sign up for online, be sure to fully read the Terms of Use before you complete the registration process.

Step 4
The last registration step may ask you to sign up for a special offer. You can disregard the offer. Look for the SKIP button at the bottom of the page.

Step 5
The next page should display a large blue button stating Upload Images and Video. Click on it to get started. A small window will open displaying files on your computer. Select the directory or file folder where you saved your image files.

Step 6
Double-click on the image file you want to upload.

Step 7
Once your image file has finished uploading you will see Image Has Uploaded. You do NOT need to fill in the information for Title, Description and Tags, unless you want your image to be searchable by other PhotoBucket members.

Click on Return To Album

Step 8
While viewing your album, hover the mouse cursor (arrow) over the picture you want to post in the forum. A box will appear below the picture. Now move the mouse cursor down over that box. It contains four sets of code:

IM & Email
Direct Link
HTML Code
IMG Code

Since the MyCopper forum uses BBCode (not HTML) move your curser over the code next to IMG Code. It should automatically copy the code. You will see a brief pale yellow display stating Copied.

Step 9
Go to MyCopper and compose your forum post. Move the mouse cursor to wherever you want the picture to appear in your post. Right click the mouse. Options will appear. Select Paste. The BBCode for the image link will be displayed in your post.

Step 10
Before posting your forum message be sure to select Preview to see how your message will appear in the forum with text and picture. Modify your post, if necessary, and Preview again until you are happy with the results.

Click Post.

That's it! BigGrin

Regarding Image Size

Be aware not all images are "dial-up friendly". Very large images may take a while for forum members to view, due to the time it takes to fully load large images while using a 56k modem...

A few important words about "hotlinking" (also known as direct linking, inline linking, piggy-backing and image leeching)

Some MyCopper forum members hotlink directly to an image hosted on another website.

An example of hotlinking: Using the image properties to copy and paste the URL (web location) of an image and then using BBCode [img] tags to display the picture, so the image hosted on that website will appear in your forum post.

Hotlinking to an image file you found on a website may be considered bandwidth theft. Yes, that's right - it's stealing - if you don't have permission from the website to hotlink to the image on their website.

Why is hotlinking, without the consent of the website, considered bandwidth theft?

Bandwidth refers to the amount of data transferred from a website to a user's computer. When you view a web page, you are using that site's bandwidth to transfer the data across the Internet to display the files/web pages in your web browser. Web hosts charge a fee to websites based on the amount of data transferred, so bandwidth abuse is an ongoing major concern for website owners. If a site is over its monthly allocation of bandwidth, the website is billed for the extra data transfer, or the website may be shut down (offline) until the start of the next billing period.

Here's a simple analogy for bandwidth theft:
Imagine a stranger plugging into YOUR electrical outlets, using YOUR electricity without YOUR consent, and YOU are paying for it!
jfloyd
#83 Posted : Tuesday, August 31, 2010 10:36:27 PM

I have no clue what this thread is about, but I have to parasite. I still can't post new.

I teach students every day. They're adults or in range of adulthood, but as much as I love them, STUPID prevails!

I just saw this story...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/..._re_us/us_facebook_juror

The world has gone NUTS with technostupid!

What happened?

Post my blood and guts online for the world to see?

Can't breathe unless I'm constantly connected to all to see what kind of pizza to order? Sit in math class and text?

Technology makes smart people, because they make technology. Technology kills stupid people, because they're clueless.

Scary.
gojohnson
#84 Posted : Sunday, September 5, 2010 7:32:43 AM

*BUMP*

I posted this in another forum thread on December 9, 2009.

HOW TO ADD A PICTURE TO YOUR FORUM POST

This is not the same procedure as adding an avatar (picture) to your forum profile. You will find detailed instructions on how to add an avatar here <--click link

The MyCopper Forum does not provide image hosting for pictures posted in the forum. You will first need to find an image hosting website. There are many free image host sites but very few reliable sites. Currently, the most popular free (and reliable) image host is PhotoBucket.com.

These instructions will show you how to use PhotoBucket to host pictures you want to post in the MyCopper Forum.

Step 1
Go to PhotoBucket.com <--click link

Step 2
Sign up for a free account. Create a user name and password. Note: Your user name will be seen in the URL (web address) of images you post in the forum.

Step 3
On the next registration screen PhotoBucket will ask for your first and last name, birthdate and zip code. I recommend you do NOT use your real name, etc. It also requires an email address. If you have an alternate email address, such as Yahoo or Gmail - use it! I never sign up for anything 'online' with my primary email address (which is probably why I never ever get spam in my Copper mailbox).

As with anything you sign up for online, be sure to fully read the Terms of Use before you complete the registration process.

Step 4
The last registration step may ask you to sign up for a special offer. You can disregard the offer. Look for the SKIP button at the bottom of the page.

Step 5
The next page should display a large blue button stating Upload Images and Video. Click on it to get started. A small window will open displaying files on your computer. Select the directory or file folder where you saved your image files.

Step 6
Double-click on the image file you want to upload.

Step 7
Once your image file has finished uploading you will see Image Has Uploaded. You do NOT need to fill in the information for Title, Description and Tags, unless you want your image to be searchable by other PhotoBucket members.

Click on Return To Album

Step 8
While viewing your album, hover the mouse cursor (arrow) over the picture you want to post in the forum. A box will appear below the picture. Now move the mouse cursor down over that box. It contains four sets of code:

IM & Email
Direct Link
HTML Code
IMG Code

Since the MyCopper forum uses BBCode (not HTML) move your curser over the code next to IMG Code. It should automatically copy the code. You will see a brief pale yellow display stating Copied.

Step 9
Go to MyCopper and compose your forum post. Move the mouse cursor to wherever you want the picture to appear in your post. Right click the mouse. Options will appear. Select Paste. The BBCode for the image link will be displayed in your post.

Step 10
Before posting your forum message be sure to select Preview to see how your message will appear in the forum with text and picture. Modify your post, if necessary, and Preview again until you are happy with the results.

Click Post.

That's it! BigGrin

Regarding Image Size

Be aware not all images are "dial-up friendly". Very large images may take a while for forum members to view, due to the time it takes to fully load large images while using a 56k modem...

A few important words about "hotlinking" (also known as direct linking, inline linking, piggy-backing and image leeching)

Some MyCopper forum members hotlink directly to an image hosted on another website.

An example of hotlinking: Using the image properties to copy and paste the URL (web location) of an image and then using BBCode [img] tags to display the picture, so the image hosted on that website will appear in your forum post.

Hotlinking to an image file you found on a website may be considered bandwidth theft. Yes, that's right - it's stealing - if you don't have permission from the website to hotlink to the image on their website.

Why is hotlinking, without the consent of the website, considered bandwidth theft?

Bandwidth refers to the amount of data transferred from a website to a user's computer. When you view a web page, you are using that site's bandwidth to transfer the data across the Internet to display the files/web pages in your web browser. Web hosts charge a fee to websites based on the amount of data transferred, so bandwidth abuse is an ongoing major concern for website owners. If a site is over its monthly allocation of bandwidth, the website is billed for the extra data transfer, or the website may be shut down (offline) until the start of the next billing period.

Imagine a stranger plugging into YOUR electrical outlets, using YOUR electricity without YOUR consent, and YOU are paying for it!
mlawson
#85 Posted : Saturday, September 18, 2010 12:43:23 AM

TIP on dealing with an abusive cyber-stalker:

I expect that someone from copper will deny this, but…

When you have problems with a habitual, compulsive, cyber-stalker who is clearly violating Copper terms of service,…

Do not bother with the ‘report abusive’ button. FROM MY EXPERIENCE, using the ‘report abusive’ button does nothing.

When I wanted to report a clear violation of Copper’s terms of service, I used the ‘report abusive’ button, repeatedly, 3 or 4 times over 5 or 6 days. Absolutely nothing happened, and I received no email from anyone at Copper about the problem.

After a week of being dumbfounded over the lack of any action on such a CLEAR violation, I sent an email to Mike. Within just a few hours of my email, Mike answered me and immediately took action against the offender. So the lack of action or response to my ‘report abusive’ button lead me to believe that the use of this button does nothing.

It reminded me of the fake thermostats that are often put in commercial buildings. They are there to placate the people who are always too hot or too cold, but they are not connected to anything.

For any consideration, you need to send an email to Mike, the administrator, and include a highlight-copy-paste copy of the offender’s post in the body of your email, and indicate which subject area.

IF this abuse button is supposed to be working, admin should check on the employee who is supposed to be monitoring these abuse reports… and see if s/he is just too busy to get around to it.

Also, NO ONE from Copper monitors forum or reads all of the posts. This forum is completely un-moderated. When the engineers have time, they occasionally check in on “Copper.net Internet Support” or “Computers & Technology”. But even in those threads, they just do not have the time to read every post in every thread.

No matter how severe a violation might be, to get any action IMO you will need to send an email to:

admin@copper.net

and remember to include a copy of the offender’s post... Just begin to highlight immediately above the offender’s ID on the left, and continue to the end of the post; then copy; open your email; click compose, and paste into the body of the email.

If any of you have used the ‘report abuse’ button AND RECEIVED A RESPONSE EMAIL, please post here about your success with it. But if you used the abuse button and some action was taken without any response to you, that action could have happened, just because someone else sent an email to Mike.

Also, when you find a habitual, compulsive, repeat cyber-stalker violating the terms of service AGAINST ANOTHER MEMBER… even when you are not involved, please send an email to Mike. He is most strongly influenced when an outside 3rd party complains, and he does not reveal who complained, to the offender. You will remain anonymous and you will not be triggering the wrath of the offender against you.

There are many, many people who used to be regular posters and have either quit posting or have left Copper completely because they were just sick and tired, and fed up with the constant haranguing of either themselves or even of others.

It is only by a significant volume of complaints from numerous different members, that all of this harassment can be stopped. Many people have been banned from posting in the past, some have already been banned a couple of times. Given enough different members complaining about the same repeat offender, eventually action will be taken.
weezie
#86 Posted : Saturday, September 18, 2010 4:37:59 AM

mlawson wrote:
I expect that someone from copper will deny this, but…

When you have problems with a habitual, compulsive, cyber-stalker who is clearly violating Copper terms of service,…

Do not bother with the ‘report abusive’ button. FROM MY EXPERIENCE, using the ‘report abusive’ button does nothing.

When I wanted to report a clear violation of Copper’s terms of service, I used the ‘report abusive’ button, repeatedly, 3 or 4 times over 5 or 6 days. Absolutely nothing happened, and I received no email from anyone at Copper about the problem.

After a week of being dumbfounded over the lack of any action on such a CLEAR violation, I sent an email to Mike. Within just a few hours of my email, Mike answered me and immediately took action against the offender. So the lack of action or response to my ‘report abusive’ button lead me to believe that the use of this button does nothing.

It reminded me of the fake thermostats that are often put in commercial buildings. They are there to placate the people who are always too hot or too cold, but they are not connected to anything.

For any consideration, you need to send an email to Mike, the administrator, and include a highlight-copy-paste copy of the offender’s post in the body of your email, and indicate which subject area.

IF this abuse button is supposed to be working, admin should check on the employee who is supposed to be monitoring these abuse reports… and see if s/he is just too busy to get around to it.

Also, NO ONE from Copper monitors forum or reads all of the posts. This forum is completely un-moderated. When the engineers have time, they occasionally check in on “Copper.net Internet Support” or “Computers & Technology”. But even in those threads, they just do not have the time to read every post in every thread.

No matter how severe a violation might be, to get any action IMO you will need to send an email to:

admin@copper.net

and remember to include a copy of the offender’s post... Just begin to highlight immediately above the offender’s ID on the left, and continue to the end of the post; then copy; open your email; click compose, and paste into the body of the email.

If any of you have used the ‘report abuse’ button AND RECEIVED A RESPONSE EMAIL, please post here about your success with it. But if you used the abuse button and some action was taken without any response to you, that action could have happened, just because someone else sent an email to Mike.

Also, when you find a habitual, compulsive, repeat cyber-stalker violating the terms of service AGAINST ANOTHER MEMBER… even when you are not involved, please send an email to Mike. He is most strongly influenced when an outside 3rd party complains, and he does not reveal who complained to the offender. You will remain anonymous and you will not be triggering the wrath of the offender against you.

There are many, many people who used to be regular posters and have either quit posting or have left Copper completely because they were just sick and tired, and fed up with the constant haranguing of either themselves or even of others.

It is only by a significant volume of complaints from numerous different members, that all of this harassment can be stopped. Many people have been banned from posting in the past, some have already been banned a couple of times. Given enough different members complaining about the same repeat offender, eventually action will be taken.

Welcome back ML. I have never gotten any response from the ‘report abusive’ button either but did get an answer by email. I was told by Mike that the only thing they care about
is profanity.
Would you kindly post your microwave cake again in the food topic. thanks
Shouldn't your post here have it's own thread?
SOME PEOPLES KNOWLEDGE OF THE WORD IS IN THEIR MIND, THEY ARE EASILY IDENTIFIED. I MUCH PREFER GODS WORD BE IN MY HEART!

Ephesians4-14Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming.

POISON IN POISON OUT!
DON'T SHOOT YOUR CHRISTIAN FOOT OFF TRYING TO BE IN WITH A WORLDLY GROUP!

1 step forward, 5 steps back
mlawson
#87 Posted : Saturday, September 18, 2010 2:32:39 PM

Another very important TIP when dealing with an abusive cyber-stalker in Copper forum:

Whenever you see an offensive post, immediately use the 'quote' button and post it as a quote inside of your post, even if you do not wish to comment.

This will preserve a copy of the offensive post, just as you saw it.

There have been at least 3 different members who have previously posted something in violation of the Terms of Service, and hours or even days later, they have gone back and edited or deleted their post to remove the item. Then, of course, they protest over and over and over that they did nothing wrong, they did not start the fight, they are the perfectly innocent angel, and insisting over and over that they are the victim.

It easy to identify who does this, as most, not all, but most of them are the ones who are ALWAYS in a fight with someone. Just when one fight cools down, they start in fighting with someone different. They used to be called 'sheet disturbers', but now the term is adrenalin addicts.

If you 'quote' their post, your entry will preserve a copy just as you saw it. Even if they edit it later (slim chance they will after you have repeated it) but even if they do, their post, as you saw it, is preserved.

I have just provided an example. Now I added a title/heading to post # 85, but where it was quoted by another member in post # 86, my title does not appear; the quote is the original post.

(If you do not use the 'quote' and you try to complain about a post they have changed or deleted, you will waste a lot of time looking for it. Jeff or Mike are able to go back and see what 'editing' changes were made, but they will not take the time. They are here to make a profit, not to provide a public service.)
mike
#88 Posted : Friday, October 1, 2010 9:49:23 AM

testing
fishnet
#89 Posted : Saturday, October 2, 2010 9:26:22 PM

must be a tough day Mike..................if you get a chance can you up grade the e-mail
mlawson
#90 Posted : Tuesday, October 5, 2010 11:13:32 AM

mlawson wrote:
Another very important TIP when dealing with an abusive cyber-stalker in Copper forum:

Whenever you see an offensive post, immediately use the 'quote' button and post it as a quote inside of your post, even if you do not wish to comment.

There have been at least 3 different members who have previously posted something in violation of the Terms of Service, and hours or even days later, they have gone back and edited or deleted their post to remove the item. Then, of course, they protest over and over and over that they did nothing wrong, they did not start the fight, they are the perfectly innocent angel, and insisting over and over that they are the victim.

It easy to identify who does this, as most, not all, but most of them are the ones who are ALWAYS in a fight with someone. Just when one fight cools down, they start in fighting with someone different. They used to be called 'sheet disturbers', but now the term is adrenalin addicts.

If you 'quote' their post, your entry will preserve a copy just as you saw it. Even if they edit it later (slim chance they will after you have repeated it) but even if they do, their post, as you saw it, is preserved.

I have just provided an example. Now I added a title/heading to post # 85, but where it was quoted by another member in post # 86, my title does not appear; the quote is the original post.

(If you do not use the 'quote' and you try to complain about a post they have changed or deleted, you will waste a lot of time looking for it. Jeff or Mike are able to go back and see what 'editing' changes were made, but they will not take the time. They are here to make a profit, not to provide a public service.)

When a person posts an offensive or insulting picture (via PhotoBucket, ImageShack, etc.), if you quote their post, as I recommended above, this will NOT preserve a copy of the offensive picture. All the offender needs to do is to change or delete the offensive picture from their photo-sharing account, and then even Marc, Mike and Jeff canNOT retrieve the offending picture.

There probably is some way (maybe a screen-shot?) to save an OFF-LINE copy of their post with the offending picture, in your own computer, to be emailed when complaining, but that is 'above my pay grade'.

Hopefully one of our techie-geniuses will post here how to save an OFF-LINE copy of a picture posted by someone else... What the heck, there probably is some picture that you'd like to copy just for the beauty, cuteness, etc., like those adorable pet photos.
alkarocky
#91 Posted : Tuesday, October 5, 2010 11:23:49 AM

mlawson wrote:
mlawson wrote:

When a person posts an offensive or insulting picture (via PhotoBucket, ImageShack, etc.), if you quote their post, as I recommended above, this will NOT preserve a copy of the offensive picture. All the offender needs to do is to change or delete the offensive picture from their photo-sharing account, and then even Marc, Mike and Jeff canNOT retrieve the offending picture.

There probably is some way (maybe a screen-shot?) to save an OFF-LINE copy of their post with the offending picture, in your own computer, to be emailed when complaining, but that is 'above my pay grade'.

Hopefully one of our techie-geniuses will post here how to save an OFF-LINE copy of a picture posted by someone else... What the heck, there probably is some picture that you'd like to copy just for the beauty, cuteness, etc., like those adorable pet photos.

You should see the the plie of stuff i saved and printed.
Now I can just add it back by way of my scanner and expose all.
jimmymac
#92 Posted : Sunday, October 10, 2010 6:42:34 PM

mlawson wrote:

The problem with this is it doesn't prove anything. While pressing "quote" will initially make a copy of the original post, the person who does the "quoting" can edit the result any way he likes. Or even create a "quote" out of whole cloth.

Example:

mlawson wrote:
<Something very offensive>

Now if a person completely deletes his post, a copy is still present on Copper's server, which I assume an administrator can access. When a post is edited, I don't know whether of not the forum software keeps copies of the various revisions. (I believe vBulliten now has that capability but I don't know about YAF.)
The idea that Bill Gates (one of the founders of Microsoft) has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second rate technology, led them into it in the first place, and continues to do so today. -- Douglas Adams

mlawson
#93 Posted : Saturday, October 30, 2010 7:19:33 AM

jimmymac wrote:
mlawson wrote:

The problem with this is it doesn't prove anything. While pressing "quote" will initially make a copy of the original post, the person who does the "quoting" can edit the result any way he likes. Or even create a "quote" out of whole cloth.

Example:

mlawson wrote:
<Something very offensive>

Now if a person completely deletes his post, a copy is still present on Copper's server, which I assume an administrator can access. When a post is edited, I don't know whether of not the forum software keeps copies of the various revisions. (I believe vBulliten now has that capability but I don't know about YAF.)

Yes, 'alteration/adulteration' by the quoter is possible, but Jeff has assured me that he and admin have easy access to every edit, even if the original was edited repeatedly. They probably need this for legal reasons. Saving a copy of the original would make it much easier for admin to find the offending post when a complaint is filed.

jshepler
#94 Posted : Saturday, October 30, 2010 1:06:02 PM

mlawson wrote:
... Jeff has assured me that he and admin have easy access to every edit, even if the original was edited repeatedly.

I have never assured anyone of any such thing. While it is true that a deleted post is not actually deleted (how else would the "undelete post" button be able to work?), a history of edits is not kept.
mlawson
#95 Posted : Saturday, October 30, 2010 4:30:24 PM

jshepler wrote:
mlawson wrote:
... Jeff has assured me that he and admin have easy access to every edit, even if the original was edited repeatedly.

I have never assured anyone of any such thing. While it is true that a deleted post is not actually deleted (how else would the "undelete post" button be able to work?), a history of edits is not kept.

Whoops... m'I bad... It wasn't Jeff; it was Mike who told me this.

If that is not accurate, perhaps Mike was assuming or exaggerating to appease me, and 'get me off his back'. Sorry, Jeff.

Perhaps a 'screen shot' is a better way to preserve evidence? I don't think that can be edited.
jimmymac
#96 Posted : Sunday, October 31, 2010 1:33:43 AM

mlawson wrote:
Perhaps a 'screen shot' is a better way to preserve evidence? I don't think that can be edited.[/size][/color][/b]

I would imagine that depends how good a person is with tools like GIMP or Photoshop. Unfortunately, in this digital world we can no longer say "seeing is believing". At least if what we are seeing is a (supposedly) digital record. Same goes for digtial audio recordings.

I have only used GIMP for the most basic of tasks and even there did not exhibit much talent. So I probably couldn't give you a very convincing demonstration OhMyGod
The idea that Bill Gates (one of the founders of Microsoft) has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second rate technology, led them into it in the first place, and continues to do so today. -- Douglas Adams

gojohnson
#97 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:18:11 AM

I've seen a lot of hotlinking in the Copper forums lately. So here's a repeat of my post on hotlinking...

jimmymac
#98 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2011 3:24:39 AM

GOJOhnson wrote:
I've seen a lot of hotlinking in the Copper forums lately. So here's a repeat of my post on hotlinking...

Outside of the ethical and perhaps legal considerations GOJO mentioned, there is also a practical consideration.

If you hot link, you give the person controlling the image (or whatever) you are hotlinking to power over what appears on your post. If that image (for example) is deleted or changed, so is your post. In fact,I remember reading (wish I had the link handy) about a situation where a group who (on their website) hotlinked to one or more images. The owner of the images they hotlinked to did not take kindly to this. Using the referer headers provided when the image{s} was retrieved, he found out who had hotlinked and changed the corresponding image{s} to one{s} that would be offensive to the group that did the hotlinking. So ... hotlinker beware!

There is one rare exception to the rule of "don't hotlink". That is when the website you are hotlinking to gives explicit permission to do so -- assuming you also comply with any conditions on that permission. I have done so once or twice for a comic strip. I forget which website that was. But it is not common for such permission to be granted.

gojohnson
#99 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2011 4:14:34 PM

jimmymac wrote:
GOJOhnson wrote:

An example of hotlinking: Using the image properties to copy and paste the URL (web location) of an image and then using BBCode tags to display the picture, so the image hosted on that website will appear in your forum post.

Outside of the ethical and perhaps legal considerations GOJO mentioned, there is also a practical consideration.

If you hot link, you give the person controlling the image (or whatever) you are hotlinking to power over what appears on your post. If that image (for example) is deleted or changed, so is your post. In fact,I remember reading (wish I had the link handy) about a situation where a group who (on their website) hotlinked to one or more images. The owner of the images they hotlinked to did not take kindly to this. Using the referer headers provided when the image{s} was retrieved, he found out who had hotlinked and changed the corresponding image{s} to one{s} that would be offensive to the group that did the hotlinking. So ... hotlinker beware!

There is one rare exception to the rule of "don't hotlink". That is when the website you are hotlinking to gives explicit permission to do so -- assuming you also comply with any conditions on that permission. I have done so once or twice for a comic strip. I forget which website that was. But it is not common for such permission to be granted.

I have a related story. A few years ago a church stole (hotlinked) an image from one of my web sites. The image was a very nice mural. A Christmas theme I designed in Photoshop. The church was displaying my mural at the top of their main page. I found out about the theft because my server stats show the URL (web address) of every external web page linking to my web sites. That report includes the URL of images hotlinked from my server.

So I emailed the church and very politely asked them to remove my copyrighted image from their web site. I explained they had stolen my original artwork and were also stealing my bandwidth by hotlinking to the image. I offered them the opportunity to add text and a link beneath the image, giving proper credit to me for my design.

The church ignored my email. Two weeks later I sent another email. I also called the church office and left a detailed voicemail message. I explained they had ONE WEEK to remove my image from their web site.

A week passed with no email reply and no phone call from the church. So now I was angry and it was time for action! I uploaded to my server a picture of a very nude (R-rated) Santa. I named the picture the exact same file name as the Christmas mural. The server overwrote the christmas-mural.jpg image file. So now the church was hotlinking to very large image of an angry and nude Santa!

I checked the church's web site every day. Ugly nude Santa was right there at the top of the main page, welcoming visitors to attend their Sunday morning church service. Santa remained on the Baptist bandwidth bandits web site for more than a week before they discovered the Santa pic and removed it...

By the way, not all hotlinks are a bad thing. People have hotlinked the logo for one of my sites on pages at wikipedia, eHow, wikiHow and others. That's great publicity and a good use of my bandwidth. However, hotlinking to other images on my web sites without naming the source of the image is simply STEALING my copyrighted graphics and is also bandwidth THEFT.

jimmymac
#100 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2011 7:03:20 PM

GOJOhnson wrote:
A week passed with no email reply and no phone call from the church. So now I was angry and it was time for action! I uploaded to my server a picture of a very nude (R-rated) Santa. I named the picture the exact same file name as the Christmas mural. The server overwrote the christmas-mural.jpg image file. So now the church was hotlinking to very large image of an angry and nude Santa!

I checked the church's web site every day. Ugly nude Santa was right there at the top of the main page, welcoming visitors to attend their Sunday morning church service. Santa remained on the Baptist bandwidth bandits web site for more than a week before they discovered the Santa pic and removed it...

That might be the story I was thinking of. I have forgotten details, but in very rough terms it matches. The story I had in mind did involve a church or religious group, and a picture involving nudity sounds about right.

Have you posted that story on these forums before? Perhaps that is where I read it. Ye ol' memory. It ain't what it used to be!

6 Pages «<3456>