cricket
Look carefully...at the seemingly small moments...in the constant shaping of souls.- Neal A.Maxwell

acknowledgement
"I need attention!" said smiling 11-yearold tonight.  I don't know when or why but years ago our family started saying, "Do you need attention?" before tickling, poking, wrestling... the questionee.  11-year old thrives on rough-housingTonight's request was really a request for a willing wrestling partner.

"Thank you for making dinner.  May I be excused?"  As explained to my children, even if they didn't like what was served theyneed to politely acknowledge the effort that was extended on their behalf.  Point even better understood when they started cooking some of the meals.

Years ago, as a newlywed, I asked my husband to tell me a specific compliment.  He complied by stating a rephrase of what I had said.  I told him I didn't want a rephrase I wanted a word for word repeat of what I had said.  He looked incredulous and asked if it would mean anything if he simply repeated my statement.  My reply, "Oddly, yes it would."  So he repeated, word for word.

An 8th grade boy's band teacher gives him a new nickname each month.  Each month the boy makes sure to tell me what the name is (Ralph from "Wreck it Ralph" for April.)  I hope the teacher knows how important she is to him.

14-year old girl hides behind her hair,  She hides behind doors,  She hides in trees - all the time hoping to be seen.  I told her not to hide too well.  She told me sometimes she can be in a room of people and still not be seen. :(

I live in a cul-de-sac teeming with little kids on scooter, on bike on foot.  They are not so careful about watching for cars so I try to be extra careful in watching for them.  This past week as I was backing the van out of my driveway I was surprised to see not a little one but a teenaged boy in my path.  I waited for him to move but he did not budge.  After some moments of waiting I turned the wheel more sharply and backed out keeping a careful eye that the boy was safely out of my way.  Later that day my high-schooler told me that earlier that day the teen boy had asked my son what I thought of him.  My son said that he told the teen that I did not think of him enough to have an opinion. It made me wonder if the skateboard parking was a means for attention - and if so, what type?

The Sunday after Spring Break my friend, who had been away for the week, looked my direction in church.  Our eyes met and she smiled before looking away.  Her smile made my day - to me it was a happy, "Hello friend!".

A smile, a hello, an acknowledgement of effort and existence.  Even if rough-housing is not your forte, at some point we all want to say, "Hey, right now, I need attention."
Comments
Monday, April 15, 2013 10:53 PM by GRSJR
I wonder if the 14 year-old girl needs attention or needs to be the center of attention?
Tuesday, April 16, 2013 1:20 AM by cenb
attention - yes. center of attention - no. needy - yes. demanding - no.
cricket
Sunday, October 1, 2017 2:36 AM by bharat
acknowladgement about cricket
so much has changed and is yet the same
Sunday, October 1, 2017 12:28 PM by cenb
Thank you for the acknowledgement bharat.

Update: 8th grade boy is a Senior in High School and loves his job at a local gas station. 14 year old girl graduated this past Spring. She still wants attention but seeks it through tattoos, piercings and dyed hair rather than hiding. I learned that teen boy on the skateboard was struggling with math. I offered free math tutoring. He declined and later dropped out of high school. Hed has since moved away.

11 year old B? Two nights ago I was reclining on the couch watching 20 year old C teach 15 year old B some new dance move. Along the way this morphed into a family room version of indoor soccer. With dancing over I started to move off the couch. C ran to "help" by scooping me up into his arms and running back and forth while carrying me. He paused only long enough to pass me off to B who then continued the running where B left off.

Though a little scary to be carried by a 160 lb, 15 year old - I appreciated their "acknowledgement of my existence."
Wednesday, April 10, 2019 9:04 AM by
Wednesday, April 10, 2019 9:05 AM by
Wednesday, April 10, 2019 9:05 AM by
"Joe vs. the Volcano"
Wednesday, April 10, 2019 11:58 AM by cenb
One of the characters in "Joe vs. the Volcano" responds, "I have no response to that" more than once in response to Joe. She is acknowledging he said something - even if she has nothing to say. I see the wordless comments as same.

I enrolled back to school this Spring. 21-year old C is a Junior at the same college. He said, with a smile on his face, "Mom, if I see you on campus I am not going to acknowledge your existence - I am going to just keep on walking." Ironically he and I both signed up for the same Statistics Class and the same math lab. C was fine with me taking the class but 17-year B said that my presence would alter C's experience in the class and B did not think it fair unless I paid C's tuition for that class. That made sense to me so I dropped the class and added Family Communications. After the first day of school C said that the Statistics instructor wanted the 180 students to seat themselves alphabetically by last name for the quarter. C and I would have be seat mates.
Hello, Cenb!
Saturday, April 13, 2019 2:32 PM by Gem
Seeing your post after many quiet months made me smile. :-)
Hi Gem!
Saturday, April 13, 2019 2:48 PM by cenb
Your comment made ME smile :)

Navigation
Tags
Archives
February, 2019 (1) September, 2018 (2) August, 2018 (2) February, 2018 (1) December, 2017 (2) November, 2017 (1) October, 2017 (2) August, 2017 (2) July, 2017 (1) June, 2017 (1) May, 2017 (5) April, 2017 (1) January, 2017 (2) October, 2016 (3) September, 2016 (1) August, 2016 (2) July, 2016 (2) May, 2016 (3) April, 2016 (2) March, 2016 (1) February, 2016 (1) January, 2016 (1) December, 2015 (1) November, 2015 (1) October, 2015 (1) September, 2015 (2) August, 2015 (1) July, 2015 (2) June, 2015 (2) May, 2015 (2) April, 2015 (1) March, 2015 (1) February, 2015 (1) January, 2015 (3) December, 2014 (3) November, 2014 (3) October, 2014 (3) September, 2014 (3) August, 2014 (4) July, 2014 (3) June, 2014 (4) April, 2014 (1) March, 2014 (1) February, 2014 (1) January, 2014 (4) December, 2013 (7) November, 2013 (7) October, 2013 (2) September, 2013 (4) August, 2013 (7) July, 2013 (9) June, 2013 (7) May, 2013 (12) April, 2013 (8) March, 2013 (3) February, 2013 (8) January, 2013 (5) December, 2012 (8) November, 2012 (5) October, 2012 (2) September, 2012 (7) August, 2012 (4) July, 2012 (9) June, 2012 (10) May, 2012 (8) April, 2012 (7) March, 2012 (6) February, 2012 (2) January, 2012 (1) December, 2011 (1) October, 2011 (2) September, 2011 (9) August, 2011 (5) July, 2011 (4) June, 2011 (7) May, 2011 (2) April, 2011 (1) February, 2011 (6) January, 2011 (2) December, 2010 (4) November, 2010 (4) October, 2010 (7) August, 2010 (2) July, 2010 (2) May, 2010 (3) April, 2010 (6) February, 2010 (5) January, 2010 (7) December, 2009 (4) November, 2009 (13) October, 2009 (12)