Home  •  Forum  •  Blogs  •  E-Mail  •  Support Categories
MyCopper Categories Finance Travel Real Estate Games Autos Entertainment
Welcome Guest Active Topics |

9 Pages <1234>»
Copper.net Email Migration Issues Options
relayer
#21 Posted : Tuesday, March 8, 2022 7:38:45 PM

HEY MATT PLS READ!

Guys, I have found a workaround and picked up my email via Eudora 7.

I will CAUTION you that this isn't "best practice" and IS NOT SECURE.

Read that again, please. I take NO RESPONSIBILITY for using this information!

This information is only given for a client check. Do not continue using these settings.
DO make sure you're behind a good firewall and have antivirus working.

Also, this procedure is unavailable from the webmail portal. It is for POP3 clients only.

OK.

In my email client (Eudora) under the Account (mail.copper.net) Generic Properties tab:
I have changed:

Setting: Secure Sockets When Sending...

Required, Alternate Port (didn't work) and
Required, startTLS (didn't work) and
If Available, startTLS (didn't work)

- so I changed it to Never. (no SSL)
- did the same in Incoming Mail tab.

AND EUDORA FETCHED MY EMAIL FROM COPPER.NET

This tells me that the problem is either a bad SSL Certificate or an outdated one and that the problem is not in my machine, setup or ISP - it's in the SSL Authentication of the (new) mail servers; either it isn't registered, it's old, or the authorization path to it is screwed up.

If this works, grab your emails ( do not "leave on server" ) to your own email client (Eudora, Thunderbird, etc.)

Again, this is for testing only. Do not leave these settings on.

Good luck.

voyager
#22 Posted : Tuesday, March 8, 2022 8:36:16 PM

"Hey voyager - just clicked "try your new webmail" or whatever; I got a spinning gear but it cleared in about 10 seconds. I'm not on dialup though; might take a little longer. Here's the url I get after logging in to My New Webmail! /sarc:
https://webmail-3109.everyone.net/#/mail/list/msg

FYI, I'm using an older version of Firefox (52.x LTS)for (reasons) and it sometimes doesn't like fancy web pages (which is what webmail is now). Can you try another browser, like Brave? (you might want to try it anyway). "
--I have tried 3 browsers, and including Opera, which receives a time out error, and waited up to 10-15 minutes. As I said above, just a couple days ago, https://webmail.everyone.net worked with dialup and loaded and logged in without delay.
matt
#23 Posted : Tuesday, March 8, 2022 8:39:18 PM

llww wrote:
matt wrote:
llww wrote:
Matt, sorry no Thunderbird, just your webmail.

I'm not suggesting this is a solution, but I'm curious, does gmail load on your computer?

Matt, thanks but no Gmail either as I hate (do not trust) Google snoops! (I realize this is futile on my part, almost as much as still relying on dial-up, but some of us dinosaurs have no option!)Sad

Ok, thank you for the information. Let us do some more research and see if we can find you an acceptable solution. I'll let you know as soon as I have something to share.
matt
#24 Posted : Tuesday, March 8, 2022 8:47:21 PM

nova wrote:
matt wrote:
nova wrote:
How do I get to all my emails that disappeared? My contacts? I know i should back up move often but at least when I don't it only affects me. When you don't it effects dozens of people. I pay bills on here, that stuff is all gone. When can we expect to get everything back? I tried to call you on this and got the same response I always get from you. No one ever answers and no one ever returns the call when I leave a message. Will the stuff that disappeared ever be back? The very least you can do is let people know how bad they are screwed and for how long. PLEASE answer right away! Been with you 20 years and if all we are going to get is what we have now why pay for what we can get for free elsewhere?
don't you care that many people have given you business for so long and paid your salary for so long? You don't seem to really care. I might be wrong but that is how you come across. Not a great business model is it?

Now that you have logged into the webmail platform, all of your historical mail and folders will be imported over the next four days.

Did that 4 days start 2 days ago when this problem started? Also, what happened to cause all this? It might help people take these issues better if we knew why. If you guys screwed up let us know. We all have screwed up before.

What the heck happened and why? If this was a planned update why no warning that it was coming? No advice that we should make sure our backups are up to date? Those are not unreasonable questions are they?

Hello Nova,

To answer your question, this was completely unplanned. From the information we have been able to gather, our old email provider went out of business and shut off the lights. Another company stepped in and tried to pick up the pieces, but had no assistance from the old provider. It was a major challenge to find a contact at the new company that would actually answer the phone and could help, but once we were able to connect with the right people, we were able to start bringing services back online. At the end of the day, this could have been much less painful had there been better communication, but we're just happy things are improving at this point.
matt
#25 Posted : Tuesday, March 8, 2022 8:50:48 PM

davrth wrote:
How soon will we recover the info from our folders?

I have been informed that your old mail should be restored within four days of when you first accessed your new mail account. For many people those four days started today. I'll certainly be keeping an eye on the situation and will take action if the information I have been given does not show to be accurate.

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience.
Chooch4
#26 Posted : Tuesday, March 8, 2022 8:57:54 PM

Ok this is NOT fun. Tired of it. By the time this is fixed I'll have 300 emails sitting there waiting for me.
Anyway...
I CAN'T log into the new server and I cannot fix my Windows Live so it logs into the server.
I am on dialup. Very slow dialup. I waited ages for that damn gear to stop turning and then when I try to log in it tells me it's incorrect.
Maybe for some of us older people you need to go item by item.
Do we put down our entire copper.net log in name? We now have to put the copper.net behind our log in name?
What are the reasons the log in would be thrown out? Mine just said ERROR INVALID. Then down below it says  LANG_LOGIN_LOADINGPREFS and there's that little gear but still ERROR INVALID.
Is it going to "lock" up after so many tries?
In Live Mail what would be the settings? The ones you gave for POP3 didn't work.
NOTHING is working. And wouldn't you know it I just paid for another year. And I'm over 20 years with your company.Mad
matt
#27 Posted : Tuesday, March 8, 2022 9:12:12 PM

relayer wrote:
nova wrote:
PLEASE answer right away! Been with you 20 years and if all we are going to get is what we have now why pay for what we can get for free elsewhere?

Hey Nova, I'm a dinosaur too - I might even be older to the service than you, but I don't remember the 80s/90s very well veryhappy

Up until, say 2 years ago, Copper.Net was my first email host besides BBS/Fido. Even when I got other emails, I still paid for Copper.Net email, because the service was excellent; someone always answered the phone (even at weird night hours)and the best part was that they knew exactly what I was talking about (calling them, "your gateway #xxxx is stuck and needs a reboot" or "your tracert is being stopped at xxx.xx.xx.xxxx, etc)I liked supporting them.

Two or so years ago I started noticing glitches with POP3 mail fetch, but some were ongoing "wider internet" issues so I let them pass.

Not anymore. The service has deteriorated since everyone.net started showing up in my servers list and this last outage was enough for me. No notice beforehand? No explanations coming after? I'm a tech for cripes sake and I don't want baby-talk - I want to know what happened, what's being done about it and why no one answers the phone now. Is Copper.Net only a name/advertising fluff? Who is "everyone.net"? NM, I'll WHOIS it myself.

Here's what a good provider would do:

1. Advance notice of maybe 7 days.
2. A thorough explanation of what is going to happen.
3. When this would occur.
4. Who do we contact if we have issues with the procedure?

Sadly, I might be giving up a 25+ year old mail service & handle because of this last issue. Not very professional.

Hello Relayer,

From one tech to another, I completely agree with your suggested course of action. Ideally, I would have liked to have been given a full month notice at a minimum, a testing environment with trial migration runs, and hard timelines. I really don't care to point fingers, so I won't go into details of everything that happened behind the curtain, the short version is, our old email partner unexpectedly sold to another company. The new company received very little support on the urgent migration of services and quickly became overwhelmed with complaints. We did our best to find creative solutions until fixes were put in place and I'm feeling much more confident now in the stability of the email services than I did a few days ago. There were many lessons learned in this experience and we will do everything we can to avoid another service interruption like this again.

As for who to contact, our support team was working feverishly to answer as many questions as possible but was not able to keep up with the heavy and unexpected influx in support calls. Normally we would have sent notifications via email to everyone, but that doesn't work very well when no one can receive the messages.

We are very sorry for this issue.
matt
#28 Posted : Tuesday, March 8, 2022 9:15:45 PM

voyager wrote:
Still cannot login:

https://www.mycopper.net/WebMail/------results in certificate error.

https://webmail.everyone.net------results in endless twirling gear icon.

https://webmail-3109.everyone.net------results in displaying a place to type in mail and password, but there is no "ok" or "Login" button to submit them. I tried just using <Enter>, but nothing happens.

Hello Voyager,

It sounds like the page isn't fully loading, which should be a temporary issue. We haven't heard many other reports of this problem and I'm wondering if a refresh of the page or disconnecting and dialing back in might help solve your problem. Are you still having this issue?
matt
#29 Posted : Tuesday, March 8, 2022 9:17:10 PM

Marlo wrote:
Matt, in pod #1 you write
POP3 Server/Hostname: mail.everyone.net
POP3 Port: 995

IMAP Server/Hostname: mail.everyone.net
IMAP Port: 993

SMTP Server/Hostname: mail.everyonet.net
SMTP Port: 587

Is that right for the SMTP host name? mail.everyoneT.net

Marlo,

Thank you for catching my error. I'll correct that now. I should have double-checked before I posted that.
matt
#30 Posted : Tuesday, March 8, 2022 9:23:10 PM

abowles7037 wrote:
Thank you for POP3 information. My client is still coming up with the old IP address - it would be helpful to have the new one. Thx

Hello abowles7037,

There are alternate DNS servers and I'll post them here, but they all point to the same IP. This IP has been assigned to the new server and should be good long into the future.

• Secure Server (POP3) - pop.everyone.net or 64.29.151.234
• Secure Server (IMAP) - imap.everyone.net or 64.29.151.234
• Secure Server (SMTP) - smtp.everyone.net or 64.29.151.234

matt
#31 Posted : Tuesday, March 8, 2022 9:35:19 PM

relayer wrote:
HEY MATT PLS READ!

Guys, I have found a workaround and picked up my email via Eudora 7.

I will CAUTION you that this isn't "best practice" and IS NOT SECURE.

Read that again, please. I take NO RESPONSIBILITY for using this information!

This information is only given for a client check. Do not continue using these settings.
DO make sure you're behind a good firewall and have antivirus working.

Also, this procedure is unavailable from the webmail portal. It is for POP3 clients only.

OK.

In my email client (Eudora) under the Account (mail.copper.net) Generic Properties tab:
I have changed:

Setting: Secure Sockets When Sending...

Required, Alternate Port (didn't work) and
Required, startTLS (didn't work) and
If Available, startTLS (didn't work)

- so I changed it to Never. (no SSL)
- did the same in Incoming Mail tab.

AND EUDORA FETCHED MY EMAIL FROM COPPER.NET

This tells me that the problem is either a bad SSL Certificate or an outdated one and that the problem is not in my machine, setup or ISP - it's in the SSL Authentication of the (new) mail servers; either it isn't registered, it's old, or the authorization path to it is screwed up.

If this works, grab your emails ( do not "leave on server" ) to your own email client (Eudora, Thunderbird, etc.)

Again, this is for testing only. Do not leave these settings on.

Good luck.

Relayer,

I fully agree, sending and receiving emails over a non-secure channel is not recommended. It is absolutely a certificate error. The certificate should resolve if you use the mail.everyone.net or one of these servers along with the correct ports:

• Secure Server (POP3) - pop.everyone.net or 64.29.151.234
• Secure Server (IMAP) - imap.everyone.net or 64.29.151.234
• Secure Server (SMTP) - smtp.everyone.net or 64.29.151.234

I may update the first post to reflect these alternate server settings, but I didn't want to confuse people if the mail.everyone.net host is working and secure.
matt
#32 Posted : Tuesday, March 8, 2022 9:49:23 PM

chooch4 wrote:
Ok this is NOT fun. Tired of it. By the time this is fixed I'll have 300 emails sitting there waiting for me.
Anyway...
I CAN'T log into the new server and I cannot fix my Windows Live so it logs into the server.
I am on dialup. Very slow dialup. I waited ages for that damn gear to stop turning and then when I try to log in it tells me it's incorrect.
Maybe for some of us older people you need to go item by item.
Do we put down our entire copper.net log in name? We now have to put the copper.net behind our log in name?
What are the reasons the log in would be thrown out? Mine just said ERROR INVALID. Then down below it says  LANG_LOGIN_LOADINGPREFS and there's that little gear but still ERROR INVALID.
Is it going to "lock" up after so many tries?
In Live Mail what would be the settings? The ones you gave for POP3 didn't work.
NOTHING is working. And wouldn't you know it I just paid for another year. And I'm over 20 years with your company.Mad

chooch4,

If your email client is very old, it might not support secured servers. You can try using the unencrypted ports:

• Secure Server (POP3) - pop.everyone.net port 110
• Secure Server (IMAP) - imap.everyone.net port 143
• Secure Server (SMTP) - smtp.everyone.net port 25

Your username for pop3/imap and smtp should be your full email address.

Checking your email over an unencrypted port isn't recommended, but if that's all that works, you can try it.

You could also try to download a newer mail program like thunderbird found here:
https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/
jhustedt
#33 Posted : Wednesday, March 9, 2022 9:24:47 AM

Well it worked yesterday.

Today, the Webmail https://webmail-3109.everyone.net/#/login does not.

The little gear goes round and round and says "loading preferences", then "redirecting", then the page goes blank and nothing.

Update: It finally loaded after about 5 minutes and hitting refresh button a couple of times.
voyager
#34 Posted : Wednesday, March 9, 2022 10:02:38 AM

matt wrote:
voyager wrote:
Still cannot login:

https://www.mycopper.net/WebMail/------results in certificate error.

https://webmail.everyone.net------results in endless twirling gear icon.

https://webmail-3109.everyone.net------results in displaying a place to type in mail and password, but there is no "ok" or "Login" button to submit them. I tried just using <Enter>, but nothing happens.

Hello Voyager,

It sounds like the page isn't fully loading, which should be a temporary issue. We haven't heard many other reports of this problem and I'm wondering if a refresh of the page or disconnecting and dialing back in might help solve your problem. Are you still having this issue?

--I have been trying every couple of hours all day yesterday and just tried again, each time reloading the pages and redialing. Today, I found that sometimes it still shows that gear and nothing else, and on rare occasion, it shows kind of a broken version of the login page. I found that if I use the new password you sent me, it gives an invalid login error. I tried using my old password, and then it shows my email address in the upper right corner, but the rest of the page is blank (white) and nothing else happens. I then reloaded the page. The whole page turns white and the turning gear returns and does not go away--I waited 15 minutes. I tried reloading the page again--no change.

It looks to me like llww, chooch4, and I have the same or similar problem as we all have dialup. chooch4 states having "very slow" dialup. My dialup is close to maximum, 52-53.

What now? Please, advise.
danvir
#35 Posted : Wednesday, March 9, 2022 10:36:23 AM

I use Thunderbird and have changed both POP and SMPT to mail.everyone.net. Changed the POP port from default 110 to 995. Get "Sending of password for user danvir did not succeed. Mail server mail.everyone.net responded: Invalid password or username" You list POP3, my settings page just says POP. What ideas to fix this do you have today.
Chooch4
#36 Posted : Wednesday, March 9, 2022 11:27:01 AM

Another day, another annoyance, another hundred emails.
Tried this morning on a secure hot-spot that is fast. And it even took a long time to have that little gear stop (does it ever?). Tried logging in and invalid again. Using the long form of email login. Had logged in when this migration first started via that hot spot without trouble so went to reload through that link and nothing.

Yep, my dialup is slow. There's 50 year old copper lines for my service. I'm lucky I pull at 21.6. Right now it's 19.2. Amazing isn't it. Sometimes it hits 33.2 but then the lines can't handle it due to load protection on them to clear up noise. It's a damn catch 22.

Now nothing works and I don't know where to start. I'd say by telling the phone company to get better lines but...
There is fiber up the road but I'd still have over half a mile or more of those copper lines.

I always used the copper email website first. That's where I got rid of all the unwanted emails and viewed the larger ones. Then I'd pull the ones I wanted down from the servers through Windows Live Mail that connected to copper.net. Won't connect now.
I would have thought connecting through a fast hot spot would have worked. I had wanted to clean up the emails before my mailbox blew up but nope. If wishes were...

Any suggestions from copper.net would be helpful. We're at a loss here.
bbbbb5
#37 Posted : Wednesday, March 9, 2022 12:21:05 PM

HELP HELP HELP
I have not had email access for 5 days now. I had intermittent access on Friday and Sat, and then nothing. I have tried the new login app, it just says my password is wrong. It won't let me change password.
I have called the 888-336-3318 and left a bunch of messages for anyone to call me back - NOTHING!!!
my email is bbbbb5@copper.net
thanks
voyager
#38 Posted : Wednesday, March 9, 2022 1:59:37 PM

I here give a couple comments on chooch4's recent post, and give an update on what I am experiencing--I hope my updates are helping to guide solutions.

1. It is of interest that chooch4 tried to log in on fast internet that is not dialup and had similar difficulty as with dialup.

2. chooch4 states when migration first started, login was without trouble--that is also what happened to me, which I indicated in a previous post.

Update since my last post:

https://webmail.everyone.net-----results in white/blank page

https://webmail-3109.everyone.net-----loaded login page; I logged in; it appeared to start loading the logged in page, but it was still loading and loading and in less than a minute, immediately logged me out and showed the login page again. I tried again...same. On both the login page and what I briefly saw on the partial logged in page, there is what appears to be remnants of programming code.
nova
#39 Posted : Wednesday, March 9, 2022 2:37:13 PM

relayer wrote:
nova wrote:
PLEASE answer right away! Been with you 20 years and if all we are going to get is what we have now why pay for what we can get for free elsewhere?

Hey Nova, I'm a dinosaur too - I might even be older to the service than you, but I don't remember the 80s/90s very well veryhappy

Up until, say 2 years ago, Copper.Net was my first email host besides BBS/Fido. Even when I got other emails, I still paid for Copper.Net email, because the service was excellent; someone always answered the phone (even at weird night hours)and the best part was that they knew exactly what I was talking about (calling them, "your gateway #xxxx is stuck and needs a reboot" or "your tracert is being stopped at xxx.xx.xx.xxxx, etc)I liked supporting them.

Two or so years ago I started noticing glitches with POP3 mail fetch, but some were ongoing "wider internet" issues so I let them pass.

Not anymore. The service has deteriorated since everyone.net started showing up in my servers list and this last outage was enough for me. No notice beforehand? No explanations coming after? I'm a tech for cripes sake and I don't want baby-talk - I want to know what happened, what's being done about it and why no one answers the phone now. Is Copper.Net only a name/advertising fluff? Who is "everyone.net"? NM, I'll WHOIS it myself.

Here's what a good provider would do:

1. Advance notice of maybe 7 days.
2. A thorough explanation of what is going to happen.
3. When this would occur.
4. Who do we contact if we have issues with the procedure?

Sadly, I might be giving up a 25+ year old mail service & handle because of this last issue. Not very professional.

Yep, been on here since dialup. Use to spend a lot of time on the forums but not so much anymore. So I am on coppernet so I don't have to go through the pain of changing anything over and the fact that email only is fairly cheap. Now not only do I have to go through the pain of changing over but so far that is happening without any of my past emails which is really screwing me up. They might excuse my problems by paying I should have current backups. I can't argue with that fact but as a provider isn't that doubly true for them?

“If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
If you want to piss off a liberal, tell the truth.”

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of of the tyrant

"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy; Its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery" ... Winston Churchill

TRUTH....it's the NEW hate speech. "During times of universal deceit, telling the TRUTH becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell

““Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered.
And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped.
Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”...George Orwell, “1984”
llww
#40 Posted : Wednesday, March 9, 2022 2:55:01 PM

VOYAGER, thanks -- yes, we're having the same dial-up problems. But yesterday afternoon something miraculously worked: the Everyone-webmail slowly showed recent emails, and I was even able to send one out (which actually went)! But today, despite a dozen tries, the https://webmail-3109.everyone.net/#/login just shows the constipated cog again. sad

MATT and other tech support there, thanks for all your hard efforts (even if seemingly to no avail thus far). Please don't give up the ship (yet)! :-/
9 Pages <1234>»