Nearly Relevant
Nonsense, Fiction, and Miscellaneous Things

Mastering English
One important aspect of a refined understanding of our English language is inflection or intonation.  A correct use and interpretation of inflection can further our linguistic understanding as it relates to meaning and context.

EXAMPLES WITH EXPLANATIONS

Mistaken Assertion:  You can HAVE' it.
Response:  I don't WANT' it.

In this case the person asserting has placed, via inflection, emphasis on 'HAVE'.'  The responder, in correctly recognizing an 'Here, have it!!' ugliness, has asserted that they don't WANT' it.  Basically, the mistaken emphasis on 'HAVE'' has revealed a contentiousness which the responder has confronted.

Correct Assertion:  You CAN' have it.
Response:  Thank you.

Much less contentious assertion with the emphasis on 'CAN'' instead of 'HAVE'', resulting in a more positive response.

Mistaken Assertion:  My, it's a beautiful DAY'.
Response:  Thursday.

Obviously, the emphasis on 'DAY'' was mistaken by the responder as a wondering of the person asserting  it as to 'What day is it today?'

Correct Assertion:  My, it's a BEAUTIFUL' day.
Response:  Yes, indeed it is.

Mistaken Assertion: Cats' have NINE lives.
Response:  6 + 3, 4 x 2 +1, (17i
>4 - 8) / c2 - 15 where c = 4.

Need I say anymore .

Let's try an extended conversation, shall we?

A:  How are you DOING' today?
R.  Not much. YOU?
A.  Certainly. TED won't be here.
R.  We're engaged, THANKS'.
A.  BUT' I haven't given you anything!?
R.  Oh, indeed. A STRONG butt is a sign of good health.
A.  How about CURLS' of 35 lbs?  Is that strong enough?
R.  I do as a matter of fact have an APPOINTMENT' to get my hair curled.
A.  Oh no, no ,no. I just ran into you by CHANCE'.
R.  Yes, occasionally.  Card GAMES are my preferred.
A.  That reminds me, I've got to get back to WORK NOW'.
R.  Oh no, I've got the day off; I'll see you at LUNCH'.

There you have it folks.  Good luck with your newly acquired language skills.

___________________

Comments
Sunday, July 22, 2012 6:39 PM by cenb
So, if I were to be refined in my English I would say, "GRSJS, would you LIKE' to have some mashed pot'a-TOES'?" ???
Sunday, July 22, 2012 7:10 PM by GRSJR
Yes. Emily Post politeness should accompany every dish of absurdity.

"Yes, I'd be DELIGHTED' to have some mashed pot'a-toes."
Sunday, July 22, 2012 10:28 PM by
"GRSJS, would you LIKE' to have some mashed pot'a-TOES'?" ??? I am sure you meant GRSJR, right? It is still all Greek to me, lol. You do throw me at times with your posts. Leave me with the simple like a pot full of toes:)
Sunday, July 22, 2012 10:30 PM by
Be nice to see your funny blog in the forum where there is little sun light.:O)
Thursday, May 13, 2021 11:21 AM by Auto Glass Repair
This helped me a lot since I am not fluent in English, this is what I need. Thank you for this educational post.
nice post
Thursday, December 2, 2021 8:00 PM by csgo smurf accounts
The information in this post is very helpful and informative.
Nice post!
Monday, December 13, 2021 4:54 AM by Poll
Thank you for sharing this post!
Nice post!
Monday, December 13, 2021 4:55 AM by Poll
[www.google.com](keyword)
[url=https]here[/url]

here
test
Monday, December 13, 2021 4:56 AM by Poll
Attiqa
Friday, November 4, 2022 11:39 AM by Venue Management Systems
VenuePro has 14 modules and it collaborates with both specialists and owners from the industry. The program is constantly being updated.
Attiqa
Wednesday, November 9, 2022 3:42 AM by Mauritius Company Register
Whichever company formation in Mauritius you need, you will likely require a management company. The purpose of an offshore management company is for company formation, to provide a company secretary, a registered office, directors and various complains elements for your companies in Mauritius.
Attiqa
Friday, November 11, 2022 3:17 AM by Team Building Yorkshire
We don’t provide an off-the-shelf package – we work with you to understand your objectives, so that we can create the activities to suit your needs. All of our activities will be tailored to suit the size and make-up of your team. Team Building Yorkshire
Event Management Software
Monday, November 21, 2022 8:17 AM by timrobbin
Eventdex event management system is used to manage events, conferences, one on one business matchmaking, trade shows, and meetings of organizations.
Event Management Software
Monday, November 21, 2022 8:18 AM by Event Management Software
Eventdex is the #1 event management software platform that empowers event planners to run effective virtual, hybrid and in-person events. Eventdex is the world's leading event management system, powering millions of events in over 180 countries
Badge printing app
Monday, November 21, 2022 8:20 AM by Badge printing app
Eventdex Onsite Solutions that offer safer in-person experiences, onsite solutions is a critical tool that assists event organizers in simplifying onsite event logistics such as event registration, event check-in, and onsite badge printing, as well as lead retrieval.