Dobb
Mystery Dummy

I need a job

Does anyone out there have a good job for a 56 year old man; who is out of work after 13 years of carrying sheetrock?

Not only did the work slack up because of the economy...but it got too hard on my back and thumbs.

I only have a GED for an education and before sheetrock...all I did was weed eat state parks.

My wife and I need help.

Also when I was young and stupid...I broke into a drug store to steal pain pills...after accidentally shooting myself in the knee

and a so-called "doctor"; refused to give me any pain medication.

So I  got drunk and took some.  I got five years probation.

I'm not like that anymore.

If you know where an older man like me can get a job before I loose my car and house and all the utilities get shut off....

please let us know.

Comments
Weezie
Friday, April 22, 2011 4:27 PM by
It is refreshing to see someone humble themselves and open their heart and ask for help. I hope you have checked into all the programs they have going now. Refinancing to lower your payment or perhaps it is not called refinancing. The local city offices offer a one time payment for utilities and house payment, etc.
Churches and food banks give out food boxes. I don't know where you live but Mcdonalds just opened several thousand job openings. If you are in AZ then you probably know that big companies are coming in with a new alternative energy which they say they will be hiring 1,000's of people. Most cities have a day labor stop like man power, etc. Rent a room out of your house? I wish you the best! The forum here has a topic on where to find a job in the member forum.
God bless you and keep you!
EMPLOYER
Monday, May 2, 2011 3:47 AM by kntlj
I HAVE JOBS FOR YOU ,AS LONG AS YOU CAN PASS A DOD FBI CIA AND INTERPOL BACKGROUND CHECK IF YOU CANT WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF THE SERVICE INDUSTRIES, WENDYS BURGER KING MCDONALDS , SORRY FOR YOUR BAD LIFE CHOICES , BUT THATS WHAT LIFE IS
jobs
Tuesday, May 3, 2011 1:53 AM by a friend
Have you tried at Walmart? If you are willing to work a middle of the night shift at pay a little above minimum wage, they often will hire, but if you are getting any unemployment comp, that might be more than they will pay.

Other jobs that are often open to hiring older workers are late night, cleaning offices or security.

If that one stupid mistake was over 10 years ago, most places will not hold that against you. If you only had probation with no prison time, that proves that it was just that one mistake. Don't tell any interviewer more than you have to; just answer any specific question and stop. Don't mention pain meds unless they press you. I know that it sounds like a sympathetic story to you, but it is enough to make someone else wonder if you had a drug problem.

Also if you post again, let us know what area of the country you live in or might be able to move to.
Tuesday, May 3, 2011 11:56 PM by
Youd the man
Pussy libs
Wednesday, May 4, 2011 12:03 AM by
bongo libs, something needs you.
where are you?
Weezie
Wednesday, May 4, 2011 1:54 AM by
You can review your replies and choose not to post them such as kntlj's 3 comments. There is an edit and delete or something like that. There are jerks everywhere unfortunately. He got booted from the forum maybe he should be booted entirely. You can also report his comments. I wish you the best! Basha's is hiring I am not for sure if that is just in Az. but they have a lot of positions they are filling.
Bad Times
Wednesday, August 31, 2011 7:44 PM by jfloyd
I sometimes wonder if times are not bad but that government is corrupt enough to say times are bad to keep people "in line," working hard and not demanding anything.

I down't have an answer. I'm your age and have learned that no regular person's job is secure. I fight new but not, that I can see, computer teaching, but I know I could be out next month, and I don't have possibilities either.

I don't know where you live, but in Georgia, the weed whacking business really isn't bad. Lawn care goes for pretty good prices. It's hot and nobody really wants to do it, but lawn keepers seem to be all over the place. I quit smoking so indulged in hiring a guy to mow for me. He's more reasonable than he should be. He operates with one of those handle bar no radius mowers, a weed whacker, and a leaf blower, and he's worth more than I pay him.

Also, if I could find a handy man who didn't bankrupt me, I have a zillion home repair jobs I can't do. I probably never could lift sheet rock very well, but my old female hands, these days, find tight screws under a screw driver difficult. It might be a possibility. Everybody's house needs work. Most of us don't know how to do it.

I wish I had a better answer. I pray you can find something!
Best of luck
Thursday, September 8, 2011 9:37 AM by sbarringer
I wish you the best of luck. I live in Michigan, and can tell you that you are not alone. There are thousands of factory workers who were not "educated" beyond high school, if that, that made a great income working in car factories. Not now. They too are out of work and wondering, begging, for work. They are told to get more educated and look for a job in high tech, medical, etc. That's not working too well either. Many of these jobs are being outsourced and, again, these retrained people are losing their jobs. And, you'd think that medical training couldn't be outsourced, but some can. X-rays are being read by people overseas, because their rates are cheaper! Also, how many people can be retrained for medical? We need a hundred thousand medically trained people? Many of the retrained medical people are losing their jobs too because of the economy. People are no longer going to their doctors for regular checkups, etc, but are going only when they are forced too, because they don't have the money to spend on medical care any more. Even if they have insurance, they can't afford the co-pay. It's really depressing.
The only bright side of this is that this can't go on. The system is going to crash. And, it needs too. We live in a nightmare that needs to end.
Basically, any more, I think that the solution is to make your own job. Don't rely on someone else to give you one, especially big corporations and small businesses which are closing up and generally failing in our country. (They are going overseas to make a profit.) Maybe it's lawn care; maybe it's handyman work. It's out there. Find it. You impress me as being humble enough to succeed at this.
I HAVE MANY YEARS EXPERIENCE WORKING IN THE EMPLOYMENT AGENCY & HEAD HUNTING FIELDS
Thursday, May 17, 2012 11:27 PM by jonrid
FIRST OFF FORGET ABOUT THE 5 YEARS PROBATION.

FIRST OFF THE NUMBER OF EMPLOYERS WHO EVEN CHECK REFFERENCES IS LIMITED. THERE ARE SEVERAL REASONS FOR THIS:
1) IT COSTS MONEY EITHER FROM A SERVICE OR PAYING AN EMPLOYEE TO CHECK.
2) MOST OTHER EMPLOYERS ARE GUTLESS ABOUT EVEN GIVING A REFERECE OTHER THAN TO CONFIRM YOUR DATES OF EMPLOYMENT, JOB TITLE, POSSIBLY SALARY. IN CASES OF SALARY MOST EMPLOYERS WILL ONLY CONFIRM A NUMBER THE CHECKER MENTIONS FIRST.

THE 3 REASONS THE ABOVE IS TRUE IS LAW SUITS, LAW SUITS, AND LAW SUITS.

SOUNDS LIKE THE ACTUAL CONSTRUCTION TRADE IS PHYSICALLY OUT FOR YOU. lOOKS TO SOME TYPE OF JOB WHERE THE KNOWLEDGE OF CONSTRUCTION AND CONSTRUCTION MATERIALS AND TOOLS WOULD BE OF VALUE TO THE EMPLOYER BUT LESS PHYSICALLY DEMANDING ON YOUR HEALTH CONCERNS.

HARDWARE STORES STRIKES ME OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD. BOTH BIG BOX AND SNAKK MOM AND POP STORES. YOU CAN APPLY FOR THE BIG BOX STORES VIA COMPUTER, BUT YOU WILL HAVE TO APPLY IN PERSON TO THE MOM & POPS.

PRINT SOME BUSIESS CARDS. IN THIS CASE PERSONAL CALLING CARDS. YOU CAN BUY THEM FOR $10 per 250 EBAY. IF YOU ARE CARYING A RESUME AROUND WITH YOU GIVE OUT THE CARD SO SOMEONE KNOWS WHERE TO REACH YOU.

IF YOU HAVE A SALES PERSONALITY TRY HOME IMPROVEMENT SALES. OUTISIDE HOMW IMPROVEMENT COMPANIES ROOFING..LAWN SERVICE IN PATICULAR BUT ANYTHING IN THE GENERAL FIELD.
I SEE ICE CREAM TRUCKS ON MY BLOCK. TRY CAB COMPAINES. YOU ARE NOT TOO OLD FOR OVER THE ROAD TRUCKING. TRAVEL IS BAD BUT ON THE GOOD SIDE MANY OF THE LARGE FIRMS WILL PAY FOR YOUR CDL LICENSE TRAINING AT A PRIVATE TRUCK DRIVER SCHOOL.