The Cranky Old Retired Lady
Opinions, wailings and observations of a cranky, old retired lady on life after 50.

Heros Among Us
I watched one of my favorite movies this weekend.  Sergeant York.  It isn't a hugely infamous film from the 1940s  but it starred the iconic and boyishly handsome Gary Cooper.  He won an academy award for his role as York. When I see the movie it always takes me back to 5th grade and an assignment we were given to name a hero.  I thought on the question and remembered the humble, church-going World War I soldier from Tennessee portrayed in the movie and wrote down St. Alvin York.  This 5th grade memory happened in the mid sixties and the film was made and released in 1941 so not too far in the past (like it would be now).  York himself was a decorated war hero who came home to parades and fanfare on the scale of the  the great astronauts of the space program.

Since Gary Cooper won an Academy Award for his portrayal, York  was not totally ambiguous in any sense as an American icon.  York was a farmer from "back in the hills" as my mother used to say. He had values.  He was brave.  He captured 132 German soldiers with just a handful of fellow soldiers. He was the best example of a hero I could think of--someone I admired who had faith, was brave and cared enough to risk his own life to save his fellow soldiers.  He won the congressional medal of honor. So imagine my disbelief and disappointment when my paper came back with his name crossed out and "NO" in capital letters was written beside this man's name.  I don't know why the teacher did that.  I never asked.  But that incident made me wonder what is a hero?

With Memorial Day around the corner we can count all those who are veterans or active service members as heroes in my book.  In my opinion, any person who is willing to be shot at or blown up and bleed for America is a hero.  If you are willing to die for America, you are a hero.  If you are are willing to be called names, be spit on because you wear a uniform--you are my hero.  If you are willing to leave your native land and go over seas leaving your wives, husbands and children and parents behind, you are my hero.  Whether the conflict is right or wrong, moral or immoral it takes an incredible amount of discipline and inner strength to suck up your personal feelings, put them away and go to war.  You don't always have that choice and going where you are told because it is what you have to do is a courageous act.  Fire fighters and police and first responders are much the same.  They carry out duties for the greater good despite public sentiment about who they are or what they do.  Even if someone write a big NO across your name you have meaning to me.  I admire what you stand for and the difficult, and sometimes unpopular, setting where you sometimes have to do it.    Please accept my heart felt thanks to all who serve here at home or lands far away. My freedom and safety are mine because of what you are willing to do.

That's just a cranky, old, retired lady's opinion.

PS Any hero who serves, or has served, you can  hang out on my lawn any time.

Comments
Saturday, May 27, 2017 10:22 PM by cenb

A friend of mine who was serving at Pearl Harbor when it was bombed passed away today. Touching weekend for his death and remembrance.
kitchen remodeling contractors
Monday, January 4, 2021 6:45 AM by homeremodelingroundrock.com
Gary Cooper the gold standards that all other Hollywood owes a great debt of gratitude.
marcus murray
Monday, January 11, 2021 5:59 AM by clearwaterconcretepros.com
I wish they would remake this movie as one of the best, Gary Cooper
dewayne williams
Thursday, January 21, 2021 1:23 AM by Click Here
I remember first seeing this movie as a teenager pretty awesome.
Appliance Repair North Vancouver BC
Saturday, March 6, 2021 2:25 PM by www.appliancerepairnorthvancouver.ca
1940 is the best decade for films. I'm glad you got to enjoy them. I eventually want to make a 40s style black and white film about how may grandfather established an appliance repair business in North Vancouver nearly 100 years ago.
Salute
Tuesday, June 29, 2021 9:40 AM by Carpet Cleaning Surprise AZ
I salute all the veterans and all the men in uniform who serves our country.

Anyway, give us a call if you need carpet cleaning in Surprise AZ.
lake norman roofer
Monday, December 28, 2020 9:08 PM by lakenormanroofingpros.com
In the 1950s the IRS accused York of tax evasion over the money he made by selling his story rights
John Edward
Tuesday, January 26, 2021 5:03 AM by John Edward
Very interesting and mindful article. Thanks for sharing.
Junk Pick Up Minneapolis
Tuesday, January 26, 2021 5:05 AM by John Sneek
Very interesting and mindful article. Thanks for sharing.
John Edward
Tuesday, January 26, 2021 5:06 AM by junkremovalminneapolis.com
Very interesting and mindful article. Thanks for sharing.
The Best
Monday, April 5, 2021 12:19 PM by termite riverside ca
This is the best out of the other info on the internet
Among US
Monday, April 5, 2021 12:20 PM by
The power washing companies near me love this site 'coz its the best
Good Movie
Friday, April 23, 2021 9:46 AM by link
I've seen the movie too. I appreciate every veteran for the work they do.
Heroes
Tuesday, May 4, 2021 6:08 AM by Dryer Vent Pipe Cleaner Avondale Arizona
Your opinion is highly appreciated. Yes, we should give thanks and appreciation for all the efforts of what our veteran soldiers did for us to keep the peace and freedom that we are having today.
Roofer
Wednesday, May 5, 2021 9:15 AM by Gutter Repair Northern Beaches
I missed my grandma. You're just like her. She also admires Gary Cooper and I don't really know why. - Sebastian
rudy sevier
Wednesday, May 12, 2021 11:29 PM by Website
The word Hero is used far too often these days, that it loses all meaning
Thursday, May 13, 2021 10:50 AM by Fair Oaks Arborists
Eventually want to make a 40s style black and white film about how my grandfather established an appliance repair business.
Tuesday, June 15, 2021 10:14 AM by Cleaning Services Surprise AZ
Most classic movies are like books containing moral values in it.
Kathmandu Technician
Saturday, August 21, 2021 1:30 AM by Kathmandu Technician
Good Post and the picture. Also do support local website. Cheers
HartfordTrees
Wednesday, August 25, 2021 3:40 PM by Tree Service
Hartford Tree Removal Pros is one of the premier tree service companies in Connecticut. They are also the most experienced company on the east coast for tree removal, trimming, and planting. And they will always offer a written estimate that includes everything from our dispatch time to costs for the specific job at hand.

Hartford Tree Removal Pros gives you the right team of professionals to get the job done right and give your property an attractive look.
Fridge Repair In Kathmandu
Saturday, August 28, 2021 12:49 AM by Fridge Repair In Kathmandu
Thanks for the info. Also if you have any electronic appliances to repair do remember us. Our local technicians can help you fix up your appliances at reasonable cost.
nc post
Wednesday, September 1, 2021 8:18 AM by Painters and decorators Toowoomba
I was very encouraged to find this site. The reason being that this is such an informative post. Thanks for sharing!
A great experience
Friday, September 10, 2021 12:26 PM by seo companies tampa
Aww! I love reading stuff like this! Looking forward to new posts from your team.
Visit Us
Thursday, October 7, 2021 9:02 AM by Wayne Beaubien
Great work!
Salute
Tuesday, October 12, 2021 3:22 AM by www.tevelec.com/
This is very great to read. Very interesting!
I Couldn't Agree More
Thursday, October 14, 2021 9:40 AM by tree service Arlington TX
I like how you stated your opinion. If I want to voice out, I would love to do the same way you did. Salute to every hero that fought for everyone's freedom.
Definitely
Thursday, October 21, 2021 12:06 PM by samsung appliance repair
This is definitely a great context that must be absorbed! Thank you for this perfect publish. Keep it up!